Benton Harbor, Michigan
Requisition ID: 48274
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is committed to being the best global kitchen and laundry company, in constant pursuit of improving life at home. In an increasingly digital world, the company is driving purposeful innovation to meet the evolving needs of consumers through its iconic brand portfolio, including Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, JennAir, Indesit, and Yummly. In 2020, the company reported approximately $19 billion in annual sales, 78,000 employees, and 57 manufacturing and technology research centers.
Whirlpool Corporation is consistently recognized by FORTUNE as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies. Our values are the driving force behind everything we do. Integrity, Respect, Inclusion & Diversity, One Whirlpool, and the Spirit of Winning propel our teams to excellence. Get to know us and see what it’s like to be part of a company that is in constant pursuit of improving life at home.
This role in summary
This position within the Customs Compliance team will primarily encompass ensuring that all laws and regulations are adhered to when dealing with cross-border transactions. This will entail working directly with suppliers, brokers, and internal process partners to support the international movement of products supporting the Whirlpool business. This may include export/import activities with several government agencies from various countries around the world.
Today, you might be applying business skills in the areas of customs compliance, cross border information management, or working closely with our Customs Brokers to provide product detail for border crossing. Tomorrow, you’ll manage shipments and processes relating to other government agencies (Food & Drug Administration, Federal Communications Commission, Bureau of Industry & Security, Department of Labor, etc.). You will do all of this by working closely with internal process partners such as Import Operations, Ocean Transportation, Engineering, Procurement, etc. Challenges will include international/cultural/language barriers, ambiguity, and complexities of the law.
Your responsibilities will include
• Daily shipment clearance at land/seaports of entry
• Harmonized Tariff Schedule ( HTS ) Assignment
• Support financial activities (duty payments, brokerage billing, etc.)
• Maintain database of international parts importation
• Processing mass uploads/updates
• Stay informed of any updates or changes to the system
• Look for areas of improvement to the system
• Recordkeeping audits
• Constant review of Free Trade Agreement ( FTA ) processes and procedures:
• Solicitation and support of new FTA’s yearly and as needed
• General control/review over FTA’s to ensure benefits are claimed correctly
• Import data review
• Update/Review country of origin data monthly
• Ensure data integrity through database comparisons across all data sources
• Quarterly Post Summary Corrections/Notice of Exception Reports
• Post Entry corrections to importations/processing checks or payments
• Reporting to various government agencies – (Food & Drug Administration, Federal Communications Commission, Bureau of Industry & Security, Department of Labor, etc.)
• Use problem-solving skills to find new and creative ways for process improvement and cost reduction
• Participate on project teams as requested by supervisor
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 1+ years of experience working in Customs Operations including HTS classification, valuation, or Free Trade Agreements
Preferred skills and experiences
• Customs Broker License or similar certification
• Experience of import regulations, including classification, valuation, Free Trade Agreements required
• Experience in MS Word, Excel, and Access, Knowledge of SAP and Business Warehouse (BW) are a plus.
• Experience with the Google Suite (Sheets, Docs, email).
• Communication skills (written and verbal), pay high attention to detail, be flexible in regards to the daily operations of the department and make sound fact-based decisions in a timely manner even in the face of ambiguity.
• Detailed and process-oriented while possessing the ability to multi-task, balance responsibilities, and think outside of the box when handling special requests and resolving problems.
• Analytical skills and the ability to manipulate data from multiple sources.
• Driving effective change within an organization.
• Bilingual Spanish
Connect with us and learn more about Whirlpool Corporation
See what it’s like to work at Whirlpool by visiting Whirlpool Careers. Additional information about the company can be found on Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, Instagram and YouTube.
At Whirlpool Corporation, we value and celebrate diversity. Whirlpool Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity and prohibits any discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable law.