Assist the Accounting department in minimizing time elapsed between invoice billing and payments collected for Transportation, Warehouse and Specialty divisions. Primary job function requires exceptional customer focus while monitoring and reducing DSO of assigned portfolio of accounts.
This position is also responsible for reporting and escalating any client payment issues to their manager. Typically reports to the Collection Supervisor but may be given direction from the Controller.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Accountable for reducing delinquency for assigned accounts by:
Contacting customers for payment of past due invoices via verbal and written communication, minimum of 30 calls per day and contacting customers for deposit and prepayment for new jobs.
Call customers within 10 days of invoice to confirm receipt of invoice and document payment commitment. Positive and helpful team approach in all interactions with Sales and Support Teams to resolve issues that impede timely payment of invoices.
Timely notification to management of payment issues and referral to in house Legal or 3 Party Collection Agency. Troubleshooting customer concerns on invoices as needed to resolve obstacles to payment through cross-functional collaboration between Sales, Ops and Locations.
Attend/lead credit meetings as requested, reporting on assigned portfolio progress by account to Management.
Creation of summary aging reports in Excel as requested by client and internal staff.
Communicating with co-workers, management, clients, suppliers, and others in a courteous and professional manner.
Prioritizing and managing multiple responsibilities.
Provides assistance to cash applications team with remittance questions.
Participating in process improvement projects through bridge-building and partnering skills to allow solution-focused conversations.
Must follow all confidentiality rules regarding customer information.
Assist with client inquiries and answers client questions with regards to payment history/balance, account updates and customer service issues.
Addresses client issues such as misapplied payments, short payments, bankruptcy and declined credit card.
Uses a high level of professionalism in verbal and e-mail communication, always seeking to be helpful, to focus on problem solving and arriving at a win-win interaction.
Maintain excellent customer service with the customers to establish solid relationships.
Handle customer complaints in a timely manner and escalate any pertinent matters to their manager.
Promote Corovan’s Mission and Vision Statements.
Participates in Six Sigma process improvement projects as needed.
Participates in ongoing training and may assist with training of new employees through cross-functional collaboration between locations.
Continuously promotes compliance with company policies and procedures.
Performs work with quality, efficiency, and safety at all times.
All other duties as assigned based on business needs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
ORGANIZATION SKILLS – Organization skills with ability to juggle multiple assignments and tasks, including attention to details, and the ability to prioritize in a changing environment.
2. LANGUAGE SKILLS – Ability to read and interpret documents written in English such as manuals, procedures, work instructions, and timesheets. Ability to effectively communicate well with customers and coworkers.
3. MATHEMATICAL SKILLS – Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
4. REASONING ABILITY – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
5. COMMUNICATION SKILLS – Ability to effectively communicate with potentially stressful and/or emotional situations. Outstanding customer oriented skills.
a. Exceptional problem solving abilities.
b. Ability to meet deadlines.
c. Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
d. Ability to exercise independent judgement.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field (or equivalent experience and training required, or equivalent of education and experience).
2. Three-five (3-5) years’ experience in a fast paced B2B Collections environment.
3. Intermediate MS Excel required.
5. Proficient in MS Office required.
6. Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
7. Proven ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
7. Three – five (3-5) years’ collections experience in a service based industry.
8. Familiarity with Great Plains software.
9. Experience with process improvement teams a plus.
10. Professional Collection Certification from accredited organization.
In office – Poway.
Minimal travel to local clients may be required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Individuals are required to be able to sit or stand for long periods as needed throughout the day.
1. Walking: May require walking primarily on a level surface, but may include walking on uneven or inclined surfaces for lengthy periods throughout the day, often up and down stairs.
2. Handling: Seizes, helps or works with hands.
3. Lifting: Proper lifting techniques required. May include lifting up to 25 pounds of boxes when needed.
4. Reaching: Extends hands and arms in any direction, reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required.
5. Standing: Remains in standing position if required to perform various functions of the job.
6. Stooping: Bends body downward and forward by bending at knees or waist.
7. Vision: Reads paperwork and records on the computer.
8. Talking: Communications by phone and in person.
9. Sitting: Required to sit at desk. Sit for long periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The performance of this position may occasional require exposure to the manufacturing, assembly and construction areas and under certain conditions require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety shoes, safety glasses with side shields, hard hats, masks, gloves and/or hearing protection. This list is not all inclusive.
1. Temp/Weather: Works in either 1) Office environment – for the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment.
2. Noise: Works in office environment with constant or intermittent noise.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
1. This is a full-time, regular position.
2. Employees might be required to work late evenings or weekends depending on the business needs.
3. All Overtime must be approved by manager before working.
4. Because of sales and accounting interactions, the work needs to be conducted in the office location of 12302 Kerran Street, Poway, CA 92064.
The Company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment activities and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type, based on their actual or perceived: race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status (including registered domestic partnership status), sex and gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), age (40 and over), sexual orientation, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status and any other consideration protected by federal, state or local law (collectively referred to as “protected characteristics”).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.